1. Which of the following statements about filling a cooling system is correct?
A. If you must add coolant to a warm engine, you should remove the radiator cap and add the coolant while the engine is off.
B. In a vehicle that has a coolant recovery system, the radiator should be filled to the very top with coolant.
C. In a vehicle that has a coolant recovery system, the radiator should be filled with coolant to about one inch below the top of the filler neck.
D. A coolant recovery tank should always be filled to the very top.
3. Imagine that you are troubleshooting a cooling system. The heater in the passenger compartment is producing very little heat, but the coolant level in the engine appears to be okay. When you start the engine, coolant starts flowing immediately. The probable cause of this problem is
A. a thermostat stuck open.
B. a coolant leak into the lubrication system.
C. a thermostat stuck closed.
D. a coolant leak into a combustion chamber.
4. If a water pump’s _______ is worn, the pump shaft has too much free play, and the pump makes a loud whining noise as it operates.
C. drive belt
5. Which of the following statements about water pump drive belts is correct?
A. The tension in a serpentine belt must be adjusted regularly.
B. In a serpentine drive belt system, the belt tension is usually maintained by a spring-loaded idler pulley.
C. If a water pump is driven by an engine’s timing belt, a drive-belt pulley keeps the belt at the proper tension.
D. If a water pump is driven off the crankshaft by V-type belts, the belt tension never needs to be adjusted.
7. Which of the following components is opened to drain the coolant from an engine block during servicing?
B. Filler neck
C. Block drain plug
D. Blow-off valve
8. Imagine that you are observing an automotive technician perform a test on a cooling system. As you watch, the technician installs a pressure tester at the filler neck of the vehicle’s radiator. Then, he starts the engine and watches the pressure gage on the tester. As the engine runs, the pressure reading begins to rise. What is the probable cause of this test result?
A. Coolant is leaking into the lubrication system.
B. The radiator pressure cap is faulty.
C. The technician performed the pressure test incorrectly.
D. Combustion gases are leaking into the cooling system.
9. The center section of a radiator where the actual cooling takes place is called the _______.
B. recovery tank
C. filler neck
D. pressure cap
13. Which of the following statements about air-cooled engines is correct?
A. In air-cooled engines, the cylinders and cylinder heads are finned to decrease their overall surface area.
B. A typical liquid-cooled engine has better gas mileage and a more efficient emission system than an equivalent air-cooled engine.
C. Air-cooled engines provide poor passenger compartment heating, tend to be noisy, and tend to develop oil leaks.
D. Air-cooled engines must be maintained periodically.
14. Which of the following components measures the temperature of the coolant, and
23 hours ago – 3 days left to answer.
14. Which of the following components measures the temperature of the coolant, and turns the radiator fan on and off to keep the coolant at a certain set temperature?
A. The coolant temperature switch
B. The thermostat
C. The temperature indicator
D. The timing belt